Living in DC you just CAN NOT escape political talk.
I've grown up in a Democratic family, mostly a hard-core democratic grandmother. She has always believed in the party for the people. Everything I have been through in life and people I have know have made me believe in that as well.
I'm not one for labels. Honestly I'm a moderate person. I recently compared Obama and McCain on the issues and I agree with McCain on some and Obama on others.
An observation as of late: Republicans are quick to tell you what is wrong with supporting Obama and are not open minded to any other option than McCain. Over the past few weeks when people ask whom I am voting for I tell them I haven't decided. Those who support McCain are quick to tell me why I should not vote for Obama. Those who support Obama support me for taking time to make my own decision.
I am surrounded with MANY McCain supporters and I at all costs avoid talking about politics with them. I want to make my own decision. When I do vote I probably won't tell many people.
I want a president who is going to fight for the lesser, who stand for the oppressed, who will surround himself with wise people.
Whomever is in office will be God's plan and I'm so thankful I have complete faith and confidence in God's decision!
OH and in the christian circle if you don't vote republican then you are a crazy liberal...don't you just love that!
4 comments:
I think this is a wise approach, Rachel. You just have to make your best decision based on your personal goals. I have had a lot of these same thoughts myself. Thanks for posting!
Wow, I'm experiencing the same thing here. I am equally slow to make a decision -- there are lots of things to consider. Here it's mostly OBAMA supporters railing about "ignorant" people who would vote for McCain. I find that both sides are too quick to see labels. I like your approach.
I have never been much into politics, so living up here is a challenge because there is so much to learn and see. I know what you mean about narrow minded Christian republicans. I didn't even know any Dems. when I was growing up, so I've had to expand my way of thinking on my own. So many people from both camps are so vehemently opposed to the opposite camp's way of thinking. They worry themselves to death about what will happen if their "chosen one" doesn't get to take office. They forget that our God will not lead us into anything that He cannot handle. He tells us not to worry, and He means it! He will prevail, He will not let us down...We can quote these verses, preach them from the pulpit; why do we forget this when it comes to politics? Narrow minded people bug the heck out of me.
Couldn't agree more that independent decision-making is the wisest approach.
I'm in a bit of different situation though because most of my Christian friends are voting for Obama. I usually get talked to for not caring enough about the poor and disadvantaged. They tell me that I shouldn't be a one issue voter (which they assume is pro-life) yet they constantly tell me they vote democrat because of the social justice issue.
Post a Comment