Friday, September 19, 2008

Pause and Simplify

So sometimes God will gently tell us things, sometimes He will whisper things to us and sometimes He yells things at us. Over the past few months I have been told and reminded to pause, to simplify and to Sabbath. When starting my new job I wanted to start a new schedule of simplifying and taking more time for God. But that is really easier said than done. I get off work at 4 so of course that is at least 1 hour I have more than most others of getting off work. But instead of using that time for God or solidarity I use it to run errands or work on the plans of many events.

September has been a busy month. Not bad busy, just very full. I co-hosted a baby shower the first Saturday, planned and hosted a retreat for the young adults at church last weekend, this weekend I am heading to the Frontline Retreat (which I wasn't going to be doing any planning for but ended up taking on planning the scavenger hunt), next Saturday I am co-hosting another baby shower and a birthday party in the same day :)

All this is good stuff but as I was reminded at the retreat last weekend I have to start saying no to some good stuff so I can say YES to the BEST stuff. That was the highlight of the retreat for me. I've become better at saying 'No' (some of you may not believe me but in college I don't remember ever saying 'no')...but I do have a gift for planning and organizing it so I want to use that gift to help and serve others. Jesus too had to say no to good things sometimes in order to say YES to better things. And that is my mantra right now :)

I have taken oath to myself not to plan anything for the month of October. I want to leave some open space for God to do incredible things in my life.

So October will still be filled with fun :) like soccer and tutoring every week, a service project here and there but no big events planned by yours truly! Feel free to remind me and hold me accountable!

Well that's all for now...back to changing the world!

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ---Micah 6:8

No comments: